Thursday, January 31, 2013

Week 34

We have a baby shower on Saturday and I am very excited to see all my friends!

About Baby: At 34 weeks, Alexandra can recognize and react to simple songs. I guess I better start singing to her...and not just what is playing on the radio. It must be time to start learning some songs like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. I can't remember all the words. I know....pathetic! And another big problem - I can't sing! I tried tonight and it was painful! Maybe I need some singing lessons? Alexandra is now mature enough that if she were born early, she would be preterm rather than premature. This means most likely no stay in NICU. I am still hoping she continues to "bake" until at least March 1st. Estimates say that she should weigh around 5 pounds now!

How am I feeling? Good except for the cough that still won't go away. Sleep is becoming more of a challenge due to the continuing numbness. I bought a new brace to see if that will stop me from waking up with a numb arm/hand. It has been quite painful to deal with until it calms down and I can go back to sleep. I have yet to figure out a solution since it does not seem to correspond with which side I am sleeping on. The numbness is also a problem in the morning and is making showering and styling my hair more difficult. Fortunately it goes away within an hour or so of waking.

Computer work is also making my neck quite sore. I had a prenatal massage on Sunday and that helped a little, but my neck is just super tight.

I do have to say that pregnancy has been fantastic for my hair - it seems more full than before and it seems to style easier too! My nails also grow faster. Both of these are benefits that I would love to be able to continue to have after Alexandra arrives!

New Symptoms: I have noticed how I can see the indentation from my socks after a day of work and knew I had a little swelling in my feet. But today at lunch, I looked at my feet and my ankles were swollen. Hello water retention! I asked the doctor and found out it is very normal. My blood pressure was 111/69 today so that is good. I will just have to make sure to put my feet up more! Let's hope the warm weather continues so I don't have to stuff my feet into closed toed shoes! If the swelling continues, it could put me out of work at an earlier date, but I will discuss that with my OB on February 7th.

Movement: I am continuing to enjoy her little movements and I know that I will miss those once she arrives. Some times I tap my fingers when she kicks and she will respond.

Updates:  On Monday I had a non-stress test and Alexandra was sucking her thumb during the quick ultrasound. It was funny to see! She had her fingers in her mouth again today and I got a picture of it. The technician who does the scans says she is a beautiful baby! I can't wait to see her little face when she arrives!


Food: I can finally eat most foods again without coughing. I have never had any strange food cravings or food aversions and count myself lucky. Most foods just either will cause heartburn or don't sound good. I eat a lot of chicken, which I hear from most of my friends was something they could not stand when pregnant. Guess I am lucky!

Prepping for Baby: I have made some progress this week. First, I selected a pediatrician for my girl. His name is Dr. Steven Deterville and he came highly recommended by one of the nurse assistants in my OB office. There are actually two pediatricians in the office which will be more flexible for me once I return to work. I have read some comments from patients and they are all very positive. I look forward to meeting him! Second, I contacted my insurance and found out they will cover 100% of the cost of a breast pump. I just need a prescription from my OB and to contact an in network medical equipment supplier. This is great news as the best pumps cost around $300. I am excited to finish the nursery next week!

This weeks bump photos:
And a bonus comparison shot - 24 weeks vs. 34 weeks where you can really see the change! Grandma Janet says, "Alexandra has needed more room in recent weeks!"
Look for my next post to be Sunday after the baby shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment