Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Year Ago

One year ago I found out that my first baby had stopped growing at just about 6 weeks. I wanted to do a special post today to remember that child, whom I call simply Sapphire, because s/he would have been born in September. Very few people talk openly about miscarriage, as if it is something taboo that should be hidden. I disagree. Angel babies should be remembered and celebrated, for they touched their parents lives, even if for only a few weeks.

The good that has come from my loss a year ago is two-fold. First, it makes me even more thankful for the miracle inside me. Second, it makes me more sensitive to the plight of other women who just want to be able to hold their own child in their arms.

I wanted to take today to remind my friends and family that infant loss affects 1 in 4 women. There is a website dedicated to sharing many of their stories and educating the public. It is called Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope. I hope you will join me in educating, rather than allowing infant loss to continue to be a hidden issue.

Thank you Sapphire for touching our lives, ever so briefly. We will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment